Senior Front End Engineer(Visa Sponsored)
We're looking for talented frontend engineers to join our Lisbon-based team and help us continue to build the future of online trust. You'll join a group of smart, friendly and ambitious engineers and researchers who take pride in the software we ship, in an industry where privacy, security and reliability are essential.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a fast-growing, product-driven scale-up
As a Front End Engineer, you will:
- Work in a cross-functional team to design, build, test and ship terrific features
- Work closely with designers and product managers to understand the needs of Onfido's users and customers
- Provide technical guidance, support and advice to other engineers at Onfido
Some of the front-end projects you'll work on:
- Developing intuitive and highly usable internal tools for annotating data, identifying fraud vectors and managing high-volume, high-accuracy operations
- Designing and developing unique visualisations to explain and present fraud
- Building tools to combine machine intelligence with expert human insight
- Building rich analytic dashboards to help customers understand their user base and fraud exposure
We deeply value trust and ownership. Our engineers, product managers and designers work together closely to solve a challenging problem - identity in an online world - and build products that are polished and impactful.
We’re building the new identity standard for the internet.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally—without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that’s becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online—without compromising on user privacy.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we’re just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $60m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our Onfido blog.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
- You write maintainable and well-structured HTML and CSS
- Capable with testing frameworks, such as Jest and Jasmine
- Keen to take ownership for delivering complex projects, from design to deployment to operation
- You'll uphold and promote good practice in code design, quality and security
- You are passionate about usability, accessibility and good design
- Working knowledge of at least one other language (e.g. Ruby, Python)
- Practical experience with Redux and GraphQL
Values and behaviours:
We look for individuals who share our values:
- Succeed together: share skills, ideas and honest feedback. Be excellent to each other
- Take pride: deliver world-class quality and be an ambassador
- Learn things, share them: seek out knowledge, then, take what you learn and teach it to others
- Find a better way: fix what's broken and make what works even better
- Create customer buzz: craft an experience that customers rave about
To learn more, check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 22 days holiday
- Health Cash Plan subsiding medical expenses (e.g. dental, optical, doctors plus many others)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Nutrition advice
- Subsidised gym or sports, therapy, home cleaning or childcare up to €65 per month
- Holmes place gym subscription with access to all group classes and spa
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), an unlimited budget for software and books, a training budget for conferences and regular lunch and learns
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Quarterly team socials, monthly company dinners and a budget for cross-team coffees and lunches
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
The interview process will involve:
- Simple profile matching from us - assessing your application against the role
- A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
- Do at home task where you give a bit of an insight into how you approach problem-solving
- On-site two-way technical and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Once complete and provided we make you an offer, we will ask you to undertake a background check prior to joining Onfido. We consider this necessary in order to protect Onfido, our clients, and the personal data that we process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Onfido. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.