Group: Technology | Function: Design
You will lead all global design teams at Onfido, to build and lead a world-class design organisation that creates best-in-class enterprise Identity Verification (IDV) user and brand experiences that are beautiful and simple.
Identity Document and Face-based IDV is fundamentally limited by end user friction. Excellent User Experience and Brand awareness are key to increase user adoption and stand apart from the market. A major industry analyst has quantified this as a 20% uplift potential so the ROI is compelling. This is your opportunity to be fundamental in achieving that for Onfido and the industry as a whole. Our B2B2C product has both enterprise clients as well as consumer/end users, meaning the user-centred design challenge is multi-faceted and exciting.
As a machine learning-based technology company, we have a unique and exciting opportunity to visualise our tech for our customers and for the market.
This executive level position will be responsible for driving a higher level design awareness and ethos in the company with the vision to be publicly recognised as a leader in the industry and pushing the status quo. This will require both internal and external thought leadership and driving ideas aggressively through the company at the highest levels.
Based in London, you will report to the CPO and work closely with our VP Marketing who are both based in San Francisco and our London-based CTO, VP Product and VP Engineering to enable streamlined collaboration among our designers and our product, marketing, and engineering teams at scale.
Our Director of Product Design and Director of Brand Design (both based jn SF) will be reporting to you. You will work closely with them to set the design vision, strategy, workflow and team structure to achieve world-class design status for the business. The Product design team is primary based in London.
- Lead product and marketing design functions, collaborating with stakeholders around the company to accomplish business goals while enabling Onfido to use its brand and product design as a differentiator.
- Empower your team members to proactively lead iteration cycles with stakeholders and push designs forward according to the team’s vision and understanding of the business goals. You will have to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Be highly communicative and responsive both within your team and to stakeholders across the company while managing a large volume of ongoing projects. This will also include driving the design team philosophy through the executive layer of the company.
- Maintain and further build design team workflows that ensure that all designs delivered are in line with our Brand guidelines and Design System and high-quality standards.
- Gauge fluctuations in the business need and maintain the hiring and resource plan and budget for the team. Design a global team to incorporate various cultural and local market impacts on the product set.
- Empower and mentor designers on your team, fostering a collaborative, productive, and positive environment within a growing team.
Onfido’s vision is an open world where identity is the key to access. We verify the world’s identities using AI and biometrics. Our technology helps global businesses—like Revolut, Indiegogo and Allstate—onboard more users while driving down risk and fraud. And we’re also finding the answers for the future of identity, leading innovation initiatives with the Better Identity Coalition and the Fintech Delivery Panel. Our key investors include Microsoft and Salesforce.
- 8-10+ years of experience as a design leader across multiple disciplines including User Research, Product Design and Brand Design.
- Experience with B2B software or applications with multiple user touch-points on different platforms and devices with direct experience on mobile. This will require a specific focus on products have a consumer interaction, so B2B2C experience is strongly preferred.
- Relentless desire for innovation and driving high standards, balanced with business needs and customer expectations
- You must be extremely pragmatic and have the ability to empower and manage teams of Designers, UX Researchers, and Creatives
- Ability to consider long-term sustainability in all design decisions and maintain an eye for reusability in designs.
- Strong communication skills with a keen ability to champion the best ideas and pushback on beliefs with integrity and respect.
Nice to have:
- Significant experience as an Individual Contributor UX designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar
- Demonstrate a portfolio of work with a proven track record for solving difficult UX design problems and simplifying difficult requirements to intuitive interfaces for customers
- MBA, PhD or Master’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent.
Values and behaviours:
- Succeed Together - Share skills, ideas and honest feedback. Be excellent to each other
- Take Pride - Deliver world-class quality and be an ambassador
- Learn Things, Share Them - Seek out knowledge. Then, take what you learn and teach it to others
- Find a Better Way - Fix what's broken and make what works even better
- Create Customer Buzz - Craft an experience that customers rave about
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You will receive:
- Share options
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary)
- Personalised Financial Advice with St. James’ Place Wealth Management
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Payroll Giving
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym membership or home cleaning (50% up to £50 per month)
- Free yoga classes, 5-a-side football bookings
- Unlimited budget for any software or books you need
- Free languages classes (currently Spanish, French and English)
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Clubs: Coding, Running, Theatre, Games, Poker, Movies and many more!
- Quarterly socials (e.g. cookery classes, go-karting and private cinema trips)
- Open and transparent culture - we meet for a Thursday afternoon forum (OnThursday) to engage peers informally over drinks.
The interview process will involve:
- Simple profile matching from us
- A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
- On site two-way technical, presentation and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Live Date: 15 March 2019
Close Date: 12 April 2019
Salary: Highly competitive
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Onfido. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.