Senior Backend Engineer | London
Group: Technology | Function: Engineering | Team: Portable Identity
We are looking for an experienced backend software engineer to work on a new solution involving individual online identity.
We are building Onfido's infrastructure to support new identity-centric use cases such as issuing verified credentials that allow re-use in wallets and other identity solutions as well as innovative new consumer solutions for distributed and interoperable identity.
You will be designing new systems and applying new standards to solve problems covering our core capabilities of identity verification (IDV), as well as authentication, premises entry, payments and many other use cases. You will be part of a small team including mobile and front-end developers.
What will you be working on?
- Design and build microservices and other infrastructure to support identity use cases
- Implement backend flows such as OpenID Connect and WebAuthN
- Integrate with our cutting-edge Identity Verification (IDV) and biometric AI backends
- Design and build tools and scripts to manage these solutions and interface with front ends such as web pages and mobile apps
- Build unit and system tests into your code to protect against regression and technical debt
- Write clean code to deploy these solutions
- Contribute to data infrastructure and building blocks for security and reliability
Some of the Technology we are using in the team:
- Erlang, Python, Elixir and Ruby programming languages
- Kubernetes and Docker microservices deployment
- AWS and Azure for underlying infrastructure
- Terraform for infrastructure deployment
- Travis and other Continuous Integration tools
We’re building the new identity standard for the internet.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally—without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that’s becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online—without compromising on user privacy.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we’re just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $60m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our Onfido blog and our Tech blog.
What we're hoping to see on your CV and application:
- BSc/MSc in Computer Science, Engineering or other science subject
- Interest in online identity and solving problems associated with identity and personal data
- Strong software engineering skills
- Experience coding in Python or other languages
- Experience with version control (e.g. Git)
- Great communication skills (both written and spoken)
- Successfully delivered ML-driven products to market
- Good working knowledge of the other tools in our dev stack, including AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Experience in Erlang, Elixir or other less common languages
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Payroll Giving
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym or sports, therapy, home cleaning or childcare up to £50 per month
- Office massages from Urban
- Nutrition advice
- Free weekly yoga classes
- Regular 5-a-side football matches
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), an unlimited budget for software and books, a training budget for conferences and regular lunch and learns
- Quarterly team socials and a budget for cross-team coffees and lunches
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
Live date: 14th of August 2019
Close date: 13th of September 2019
Salary: Highly Competitive
The interview process will involve:
- Simple profile matching from us - assessing your application against the role
- A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
- Do at home task where you give a bit of an insight into how you approach problem-solving
- On-site two-way technical and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Once complete and provided we make you an offer, we will ask you to undertake a background check prior to joining Onfido. We consider this necessary in order to protect Onfido, our clients, and the personal data that we process.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at Onfido. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.