Mobile Engineer | London
Group: Technology | Function: Engineering | Team: Portable Identity
We are looking for a mobile front-end engineer to work on a brand new solution for individual online identity.
A key aspect of this will be a beautiful, crystal clear and easy-to-use smartphone app.
You will be a core member of the team designing flows and producing the mobile app, focussing on making the experience as easy and friction-free as possible for both end users and relying parties including our established clients.
What will you be working on?
- Work with the team to design a mobile experience that is simple and effective for both users and relying parties
- Design and build mobile/web applications on either or both Android and iOS
- Work with the team to design the interfaces by which your front-ends communicate with back-end services
- Write clean code using efficient libraries, maximising use of platform capabilities as well as HTML5 and CSS3
- Deliver an awesome end-to-end experience to consumers and clients
- Problem solve: work independently on complex design and development tasks
- Provide technical leadership: help define how we do front end and grow our cross-team design system
- Learn product design: work closely with our Design and Product teams to help design and build intuitive solutions
- Improve stability by reviewing architecture to ensure our software is robust and scalable
We’re building a new way for individuals to interact online.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally—without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that’s becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online—without compromising on user privacy.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we’re just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $100m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our Onfido blog.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
- Professional experience as a Mobile Engineer on either Android or IOS
- Experience using Git and collaborative workflows including code reviews.
- Strong knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- Experience with testing frameworks such as Jest and Jasmine
- You are keen to take responsibility for delivering complex projects, from design to deployment to operation
- You'll uphold and promote good practice in design, code quality and security
- You are passionate about designing, creating rich user experiences and usability
- Working knowledge of at least one other language (especially Python)
- Experience working in remote teams
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies
- Microservices architectures
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Payroll Giving
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym or sports, therapy, home cleaning or childcare up to £50 per month
- Office massages from Urban
- Nutrition advice
- Free weekly yoga classes
- Regular 5-a-side football matches
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), an unlimited budget for software and books, a training budget for conferences and regular lunch and learns
- Quarterly team socials and a budget for cross-team coffees and lunches
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
Live Date: 13th of August, 2019
Close date: 12th of September, 2019
Salary: Highly Competitive
The interview process will involve:
- Simple profile matching from us - assessing your application against the role
- A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
- Do at home task where you give a bit of an insight into how you approach problem-solving
- On-site two-way technical and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Once complete and provided we make you an offer, we will ask you to undertake a background check prior to joining Onfido. We consider this necessary in order to protect Onfido, our clients, and the personal data that we process.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at Onfido. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.