Research Scientist (Machine Learning,Visa Sponsored)
Group: Technology | Function: Research
We are looking for machine learning and computer vision experts to help us shape and develop our ID verification solution. We apply cutting-edge ML techniques in our core product to classify documents, identify physical forgeries, extract data, verify user liveness, and match facial biometrics to securely verify the user’s identity. As part of the research team you will primarily help contribute to the general technical direction working with our product and engineering teams to develop new features that make use of either computer vision or machine learning models.
What problems will you be solving?
Our engineering teams work on several interesting challenges: detecting physical and digital forgeries, extracting textual and visual data from identity documents, evaluating photo content and quality, detect user impersonation attempts, verifying legitimate users through facial recognition, and making complex verification data easy for our customers to use and understand
As a Research Scientist (Machine Learning) you will:
- Build and deploy solutions to interesting computer vision or machine learning problems including document data extraction, fraud detection or biometric verification challenges.
- Support and guide other engineers in learning about, applying and delivering product features driven by machine learning techniques.
- Help develop robust model training and data infrastructure to support continual optimisation of ML-driven approaches.
- Assist in steering the direction of research direction of the company.
- Participate in weekly paper reading groups.
- Publish research results in national and international conferences and scientific journals.
- Contribute to writing grant proposals and filing patents.
- Represent Onfido at national and international scientific conferences.
Onfido’s vision is an open world where identity is the key to access. We verify the world’s identities using AI and biometrics. Our technology helps global businesses—like Revolut, Indiegogo and Allstate—onboard more users while driving down risk and fraud. And we’re also finding the answers for the future of identity, leading innovation initiatives with the Better Identity Coalition and the Fintech Delivery Panel. Our key investors include Microsoft and Salesforce.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Onfido Tech blog.
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
- PhD degree in Machine Learning, Computer Vision or a related quantitative field, or MSc degree with related experience.
- Strong academic and research track record demonstrated through publication of papers in top scientific conferences and/or journals.
- Hands on experience using machine learning and/or computer vision.
- Good coding skills (Python and C++ are considered a plus).
- Hands on experience using one of the following deep learning libraries: Tensorflow, PyTorch, Theano or similar.
- Experience in face analysis (verification, recognition, alignment-landmark localization, detection etc..)
- Successfully delivered ML-driven products to market.
- Ability to design large-scale systems.
- Experience working as a research engineer or equivalent.
- Experience with Git, writing shell scripts and working in a Unix environment.
- Good working knowledge of the tools in our dev stack, including Linux, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Redis, Jenkins and Git.
Values and behaviours:
- Succeed Together - Share skills, ideas and honest feedback. Be excellent to each other.
- Take Pride - Deliver world-class quality and be an ambassador.
- Learn Things, Share Them - Seek out knowledge. Then, take what you learn and teach it to others.
- Find a Better Way - Fix what's broken and make what works even better.
- Create Customer Buzz - Craft an experience that customers rave about.
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You will receive:
- Share options
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary)
- Personalised Financial Advice with St. James’ Place Wealth Management
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Tax-Free Childcare Scheme
- Payroll Giving
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym membership or home cleaning (50% up to £50 per month)
- Free yoga classes, 5-a-side football bookings
- Unlimited budget for any software or books you need
- Free languages classes (currently Spanish, French and English)
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Clubs: Coding, Running, Theatre, Games, Poker, Movies and many more!
- Quarterly socials (e.g. cookery classes, go-karting and private cinema trips)
- Open and transparent culture - we meet for a Friday afternoon forum (OnFriday) to engage peers informally over drinks
- If you’re relocating from another country to join then we’ll get you an Airbnb for the first month
We are able to provide visa sponsorship for this role for someone with the skills and profile required.
Live Date: 11 March 2019
Close Date: 08 April 2019
Salary: Highly competitive
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Onfido. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.