Senior Data Engineer
We are building the next generation data and analytics platform using cloud technologies to help drive growth and shape the future of Onfido. Data is at the heart of every decision we make and we are building a world class data platform to enable Onfido to access insights and analytics. As a Senior Data Engineer you will report directly to the Director of Business Intelligence and help scaling our data platform while building cutting edge data products.
What problems will you be solving?
Our BI team work on several interesting challenges to create a 360 view of our business. We onboard varied and ever-increasing sources of data generated by our AI products and integrate these with financial and sales datasets so we can create insights that drive key decisions for all levels of stakeholders. You will be working with many unique data-sets and find smart solutions to use and transform this data.
As a Senior Data Engineer you will:
- Build efficient and reliable data pipelines, ingest and transform data sets using SQL, Python and Talend (and any tool fit for purpose)
- Architect a scalable data warehouse using AWS Redshift working alongside with other data engineers
- Build the semantic layer and self-serve reporting products using data visualisation tools like Looker
- Administer, tune and run the data platform end-to-end
- Collaborate with wider engineering organisation to define and architect data structures, event streams, anything and everything related to data
- Investigate, test and introduce new ways of working, technologies where appropriate
- Represent Onfido in meet-ups, technology catch-ups and conferences
- Mentor junior team members
We’re building the new identity standard for the internet.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally—without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that’s becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online—without compromising on user privacy.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we’re just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $60m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our Onfido blog.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience building data pipelines and data marts utilising ETL tools (i.e. Informatica, Talend, Pentaho, SSIS)
- Experience working with large data sets using modern data warehousing technologies ideally one of Redshift/Snowflake/Teradata/Netezza
- Experience in software engineering, a solid appreciation of SDLC.
- Experience in coding at least in one programming language i.e. Python, Java, C#
- Experience in building front end analytics solutions utilising tools like MicroStrategy, Looker, Tableau
- Self-starter - take the initiative in spotting opportunities and finding ways to solve challenges with data; a genuine interest in solving business problems using data
- Comfortable with engaging with all levels of stakeholders and explaining complex technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Experience in Talend, Looker, AWS tech stack
- Experience in big data tech stack i.e. Spark, Hive & Hadoop
- Understanding of Agile and Scrum
- Experience in open source data pipeline tools (DBT, AirFlow, Luigi, Apache Beam)
- Experience in Stream Data processing technologies (i.e. Kafka)
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 25 days holiday
- Health Cash Plan subsiding medical expenses (e.g. dental, optical, doctors plus many others)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym membership or home cleaning (50% up to €65 per month)
- An unlimited budget for any software or books you need
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Monthly company dinners
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
Live Date: 19 June 2019
Close Date: 19 July 2019
Salary: Highly competitive
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Onfido. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.