DevOps Engineer (ML Infrastructure)
Group: Technology | Function: Engineering | Team: ML Infrastructure
We’re looking for a DevOps Engineer to help us grow and scale the platform that powers our machine learning research. Our ML Infrastructure team’s goal is to build a world-class research platform; we design, build and deploy libraries, infrastructure and services to enable our researchers to rapidly experiment, invent and prove their ideas.
Machine learning and computer vision are at the heart of Onfido’s products. The platform our researchers use plays a crucial role in how we ship products. The better the platform, the more scope our ML experts have to invent, validate and explore new ideas - which in turn, accelerates product development. Some examples of work in the ML Infrastructure team:
- Providing simple APIs for scaling up large-scale, parallel training jobs
- Systems for managing, tracking and sharing experiment results
- Applications and tools for managing, storing, searching and annotating large amounts of data, such as experiment results
- Designing techniques to validate and test experiment output
- Designing infrastructure that maximises the security and privacy of sensitive data
- Utilising multiple clouds to find cost and data efficient solutions for large-scale compute jobs
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about building solid, reliable infrastructure and has a keen sense of user understanding and empathy - you’ll be working directly with your users! In this role, you will:
- Work in tight collaboration with our machine learning research teams to help them solve problems, improve productivity, and scale up their work
- Design, develop, deploy and improve the infrastructure of our ML platform
- Ensure robustness, security and scalability of our ML infrastructure and supporting tools
We’re building the new identity standard for the internet.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally—without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that’s becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online—without compromising on user privacy.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we’re just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $60m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our Onfido blog.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
- Strong knowledge of Linux systems administration
- Scripting experience in Bash, Python or Golang
- Good grasp of networking and security concepts/methodologies
- Experienced user of AWS (or GCP or Azure)
- Experience with kubernetes
- Good working knowledge of Docker and Terraform
- Experience using monitoring tools, such as Datadog or Prometheus
- Experience designing and maintaining a large-scale data lake in S3, Elasticsearch or similar
- Prior experience with ML tools, such as Tensorflow, kubeflow or SageMaker
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary)
- Personalised Financial Advice with St. James’ Place Wealth Management
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Payroll Giving
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym membership or home cleaning (50% up to £50 per month)
- Onsite massages
- Free yoga classes, 5-a-side football bookings
- An unlimited budget for any software or books you need
- Free languages classes (currently Spanish, French and English)
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Clubs: Coding, Running, Theatre, Games, Poker, Movies and many more!
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
Live Date: 09 May 2019
Close Date: 08 June 2019
Salary: Highly competitive
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at Onfido. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.