Engineering Lead (Visa Sponsored)
We are looking for engineering leaders to help us ship amazing products and develop outstanding engineers.
At Onfido, we work in cross-functional, mission-driven teams who build and ship independently. We place huge value on trust and ownership, and believe these are the key elements behind motivated, engaged and high-performing teams. Here’s a bit more about how teams work at Onfido.
Engineering leadership at Onfido is twofold:
- In partnership with a product manager, you’ll be responsible for guiding your team to deliver on their mission and figuring out how to make that real - with the best balance of pace, rigour and customer value
- You’ll be responsible for guiding the growth, wellbeing and performance of a small team of engineers
We believe that combining team leadership and people management allows our engineering leaders to have a tremendous impact, both on individual growth and Onfido’s long-term success.
Right now, we're particularly looking for people who'd be interested in working on our Document Verification product. This product is the core of what we do - our teams in this area work closely with applied scientists to implement fast, highly accurate fraud detection approaches - and stay ahead of fraudsters!
We also work on providing a robust, secure & scalable platform that supports our geographic expansion and strategic use cases.
We’re building the new identity standard for the internet.
Whether you want to open a bank account or hire a car, our lives are moving online. That means millions of everyday interactions now happen digitally—without ever meeting anyone face-to-face. Increasingly, our identities are becoming the new currency which we use to access online services. But with half the world being unbanked, and identity fraud on the rise, that’s becoming more and more difficult. So our mission is to create an open world, where identity is the key to access.
We use machine learning to assess whether a user’s government-issued ID is genuine or fraudulent, and then compare it against their facial biometrics. As a global leader in computer vision, our AI learns to identity fraud as it evolves over time. Our goal is to apply cutting-edge research to build powerful, simple products that drive inclusion and safety online—without compromising on user privacy.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard users remotely and securely across 195 countries… and we’re just getting started!
Founded in 2012, we're a diverse, global team of 250 technologists spread across 6 countries. We've also received over $60m in funding from world-class technology investors including Salesforce and Microsoft.
You can learn more about our team and the work we do on our Onfido blog.
We use a lot of exciting technology. Our engineers are flexible about technology and pick the right tool for the job:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
What we're hoping to see highlighted on your CV and application:
- Solid background in software development; ideally, past experience in a technical leadership role
- Experience managing the performance and career development of engineers
- You build strong relationships and care deeply about finding ways to help others succeed
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Track record of developing and growing people.
- Experience with one of the following: Ruby or Python.
- Familiar with React and Redux
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, AWS.
To be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values. We have over 35 nationalities in our growing team, making this an exciting and culturally enriching place to work. Check out the team and Life at Onfido!
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Pension with The People’s Pension (employer contribution 4% of base salary)
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Bupa Health Cash Plan (Level 2)
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Payroll Giving
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Subsidised gym or sports, therapy, home cleaning or childcare up to £50 per month
- Office massages from Urban
- Nutrition advice
- Free weekly yoga classes
- Regular 5-a-side football matches
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), an unlimited budget for software and books, a training budget for conferences and regular lunch and learns
- Quarterly team socials and a budget for cross-team coffees and lunches
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink.
Live Date: 13 August 2019
Close Date: 12 September 2019
Salary: Highly Competitive
The interview process will involve:
- Simple profile matching from us - assessing your application against the role
- A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
- Do at home task where you give a bit of an insight into how you approach problem-solving
- On-site two-way technical and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Once complete and provided we make you an offer, we will ask you to undertake a background check prior to joining Onfido. We consider this necessary in order to protect Onfido, our clients, and the personal data that we process.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at Onfido. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.