Software Engineer (Identity&Databases)
We’re looking for a dynamic backend engineer to help us shape the future of digital identity. We’re a fast-growing, product-driven scale-up where you’ll be responsible for developing and maintaining systems for verification. We’re flexible about using the best technology to achieve this, so you’ll get to play with some exciting tech:
- Python, Ruby and Elixir for our service code
- React and Redux for frontend work
- Tensorflow for Machine Learning / Computer Vision
- Kubernetes and Docker to package and run services
- AWS for underlying infrastructure
Day to day you work in a cross-functional team to design, build, test and ship terrific features. You’ll also work closely with product managers to best understand the needs of Onfido's users and customers and provide technical guidance, support and advice to other engineers at Onfido. And as well as working on our identity verification systems you’ll help scale our infrastructure in line with business growth.
You can learn more about our product engineering team and the work we do on our Tech blog.
And we’re as proud of the culture we’ve built in Lisbon, as the quality of the software we ship! If successful you'll join a group of smart, friendly and ambitious engineers and researchers - a team of diverse but like-minded individuals with shared values.
Onfido is the new identity standard for the internet. Founded in 2012, our vision is to create a more open world where identity is the key to access. In a nutshell, we use groundbreaking machine learning - facial biometrics and document verification - to help you prove that you’re you. In doing so we can connect you to the services you need and love more easily, speedily and safely than ever before, whether it’s sharing a car or opening a bank account.
That’s how we give companies like Revolut, Zipcar and Bitstamp the assurance they need to onboard customers remotely and securely across 195 countries. We’ve also received over $100 million in funding from world-class tech investors including Microsoft and Salesforce… and we’re just getting started.
In a business like ours that is changing fast and pushing boundaries, a growth mindset is a must. Someone with a curious and analytical mind will help us ask the right questions and use data smartly. Creating customer buzz is also a big deal for us, so we want to know that you’re customer driven, able to give voice to internal stakeholders and champion external clients and end-users alike. And to be a great fit at Onfido, we look for individuals who share our values:
- succeed together
- take pride
- learn things, share them
- find a better way
- creating customer buzz
On our wish list is a combination of…
- Experience shipping high quality code and iterating frequently
- Good knowledge of Ruby or Elixir programming language
- Proficiency with testing frameworks, such as RSpec or ExUnit
- Enthusiasm and technical curiosity about backend technologies
- Eagerness to take ownership of delivering complex projects, from design to deployment to operation
- Ability to design technical solutions and understand how they contribute to the product evolution
- Experience of promoting good practice in code design, quality and security
- Practical experience with Ruby or Elixir, AWS and Docker/Kubernetes preferred
We're committed to making Onfido a fantastic place to work, so we go to great lengths to give you what you need to succeed. You’ll receive:
- A meaningful equity allocation
- 22 days holiday
- Health Cash Plan subsiding medical expenses (e.g. dental, optical, doctors plus many others) *
- Sanctus mental health coaching
- Flexible working
- Volunteer days - 2 days paid time off per year, in addition to holiday allowance, to volunteer
- Nutrition advice
- Subsidised gym or sports, therapy, home cleaning or childcare up to €65 per month
- Holmes place gym subscription with access to all group classes and spa
- Dedicated learning opportunities including language classes (currently Spanish, French and English), an unlimited budget for software and books, a training budget for conferences and regular lunch and learns
- A fully stocked kitchen with unlimited breakfast, drinks, snacks and fresh fruit every day
- Quarterly team socials, monthly company dinners and a budget for cross-team coffees and lunches
- Open and transparent culture—we come together on a weekly basis for a global forum (OnFriday) where we share updates and strategic plans, and engage with each other informally over food and drink
The interview process will involve:
- Simple profile matching from us - assessing your application against the role
- A two-way conversation where we both can find out a bit more about each other
- Do at home task where you give a bit of an insight into how you approach problem-solving
- On-site two-way technical and cultural conversations with the team
This process should take around two to three weeks, depending on diaries.
Once complete and provided we make you an offer, we will ask you to undertake a background check prior to joining Onfido. We consider this necessary in order to protect Onfido, our clients, and the personal data that we process.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at Onfido. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.